James Dean died on this very day in 1955. He lived a short life. But even though he died at the age of 24, after a fatal car-crash, this A...
This is a list of 100 of my favorite Bangla films that I have had the opportunity of seeing over the years. I would like to recommend vie...
'3 Idiots' rocks ! I loved '3 Idiots' , but more than that, I felt after reading the t2 review (with The Telegraph) of...
It has been quite sometime that I have had an extensive chat with Bonnie which I felt like incorporating here, to share with my readers. In...
Ruslaan Mumtaz is one of the new entrants among the Bollywood heroes. He is young, he is good-looking, and he is also naturally talented (h...
Love rocks! Love sucks! Love hurts! Love kills! Love debases! Love eludes! Love expires! Love transpires! Love transcends! Yes, al...
Dostana is the new film from producer Karan Johar's.... and it puts friendship in a whole new bracket - something of a first for mains...
Hello.... here's a bit of letting in.... for those who have been complaining that there hasn't been much of the friendly banter of ...
Who hasn't heard of Ali Zafar ?!!! I am sure, everyone in the subcontinent, clued in on popular culture and music has heard of the Pak...
Aamir Khan has been my favorite screen hero since he erupted as a bubblegummer craze in the late eighties in Qayamat Se Qayamat...
Tuesday, September 08, 2009
Happy Birthday Asha-ji!
Asha Bhosle, the original & ultimate songstress-diva turns 76 today!
Being an ardent admirer of the singer, I wish her a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
May she enthrall us with many more wonderful songs in the days to come.
She is lucky to have been gifted with a golden voice, and has had a fantastic musical career, but we are luckier still to be able to listening to her for multiple decades.
She has not only been the singing voice for the gorgeous actresses of the silver screen - from Madhubala to Kajol - Dimple Kapadia to Aishwarya Rai - having done playback for more than 1000 Hindi films, but she has also had the rare achievement of singing in more than 14 languages. She is considered to be the most versatile South Asian singer of all times. She has a magnificent repertoire of songs spanning numerous genres - from pop to ghazal, folk to classical, qawwali to devotional. Being the younger sister of Lata Mangeshkar, an equally accomplished singing sensation, Asha Bhosle carved out a niche for herself way back in the late 50's, and she has never had to look back.
My personal favorites include hundreds of songs sung by Asha-ji (as she is fondly & reverentially called), most of them in Hindi, and some in Bangla too. Here, I am listing just twenty gems from that treasure-house of melodies, I have limited the listing only to Hindi songs from films, i.e. Bollywood. (needless to stress that I had to leave out many delightful numbers, it was indeed tough to sieve through more than twelve thousand songs to come up with this minuscule listing):
1) 'Mera kuchh saamaan...' [OST: Ijaazat; 1987]
2) 'Ab ke baras bhej bhaiya...' [OST: Bandini; 1963]
3) 'Tu tu hai wani...' [OST: Yeh Vaada Raha; 1982]
4) 'Raat akeli hai...' [OST: Jewel Thief; 1967]
5) 'Radha kaise na jale...' [OST: Lagaan; 2001]
6) 'Dum maaro dum....' [OST: Hare Rama Hare Krishna; 1971]
7) 'Roz roz aankhon tale...' [OST: Jeeva; 1986]
8) 'Dekhne mein bhola hai...' [OST: Bambai Ka Babu; 1960]
9) 'Piya tu ab toh aaja...' [OST: Caravan; 1971]
10) 'O meri jaan....' [OST: Manzil Manzil; 1984]
11) 'Jaane kya baat hai...' [OST: Sunny; 1984]
12) 'O mere sona re..' [OST: Teesri Manzil; 1966]
13) 'Chura liya hai...' [OST: Yaadon Ki Baaraat; 1973]
14) 'Bas ek baar merakaha...' [OST: Umrao Jaan; 1981]
15) 'Kahin aag lage lag jaaye...' [OST: Taal; 1999]
16) 'Tanha tanha...' [OST: Rangeela; 1994]
17) 'Kambakht ishq...' [OST: Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya; 2001]
18) 'Rang de rang de...' [OST: Takshak; 1999]
19) 'Sapna mera toot gaya...' [OST: Khel Khel Mein; 1975]
20) 'Do lafzon ki hai...' [OST: The Great Gambler; 1979]